Sunday, June 22, 2008

Portfolio Performance



I am late posting May performance as I have been traveling the past few weeks. I will not say much here -- the charts speak for themselves. Disappointing. Returns have improved the past couple of weeks but have a long way to go to make up for the carnage in April and May.

The US markets have been pretty weak the past few weeks but Canada remains pretty strong. US economic data has been weaker than expected, for the most part, though it is still inconsistent. My base case is still that as concerns about global growth increase, commodity prices will weaken (gradually at first, then more quickly), and the TSX should also fall. Although there are a few holdouts, consensus seems to be that high commodity prices are here to stay. I never feel comfortable agreeing with the consensus (although this sometimes gets me into trouble).

Sentiment is interesting again. My greatest concern is short interest on the NYSE, which is at all-time highs. Hopefully this does not indicate a generally bearish disposition, as this would mean that the market is close to a bottom. However, other indicators suggest that the market is still not overly concerned. VIX is in the low 20s, many people still seem to think that the US has dodged a recession, and there is little panic talk. Price movements may have become short-term over-sold, but so far the action has been relatively calm, indicating that we are not at a panic bottom. However, if there are a large number of shorts out there, the market could rebound pretty quickly after a bottom is formed. We should get more confirmation this week with the FOMC meeting plus several key data releases.

I sold my remaining unit of gold last week on moderate strength. I took a loss on this position after haveing a sizeable gain at one point. I will not try and give a lesson right now, but needless to say, I see the downside as greater than the upside over the short-term.

MARKET POSITION: SHORT EQUITIES (10 units); SHORT REAL ESTATE (3 units); SHORT ENERGY (1 unit)

No comments: