Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quick update

Equities have been trending downwards the past two weeks, and today we had the first really big down day in a while (almost 3% on SPX) and the Dow made a new low for the year. Credit spreads have jumped out, the TED spread has turned up again, USD is soft, gold spiked up and oil prices are hitting new highs. The big question, of course, is whether this represents a tradeable bottom, or at least are we near to one i.e. should I be covering my shorts?

Sentiment is getting pretty bearish. I hear a lot of talk about SPX re-testing the March lows. Short interest is high and rising. The economic news has continued to be bad, and I get the feeling that the consensus may swing towards a 2008 recession again. On the flip side are a number of other factors: VIX is still pretty low (23.9 today), treasuries are still well above their lows earlier this year -- and the curve is still pricing in a hike this year; stocks are not cheap, commodity prices are still very high (I expect these to break down before the market bottoms), EUR/JPY -- a great crisis indicator -- is high (167/168), and there are few people talking about a serious breakdown in the equity indices -- most are just talking about a re-test of March lows.

So unless we have a major breakdown over the next few days, I think I am going to stay put for now. In 2002, the market fell through June, and then SPX lost another 190 points in the first few weeks of July. Goes to show that when the market really collapses, it can move far. I think the real bottom will come in August or September. A large gap-down on the opening Monday might change my mind over the short-term, however.

No comments: