Sunday, July 6, 2008

Performance to 4 July 2008



Quick post. On performance, June was my best month so far, but this was off a terrible April/May, so does not account for much.

On the markets: equities globally are down, a lot in most cases. Many people are calling for a bounce here, based on three factors: the markets are very oversold, markets have touched a few important technical lines (e.g. the Jan/March lows on SPX), and general sentiment seems to be getting pretty bearish again as investors realise that the US probably has NOT escaped a recession.

I agree with all of these points, yet I still do not see the conditions necessary for a sustainable move upwards. For me, the most important indicators are those that point to a high level of concern or panic, and I do not see that yet. Vix is still in the mid-20s, the Yen is softish, there has yet to be a 3%+ down day nor a large downside gap at the open.

I remember the old trader's maxim: do not sell a stock just because it has gone up. I also remember that over the past 6 months, there has been many times that the market looked like it was very overbought, and then it went higher still. I also remember that in bear markets, the last few days/weeks can account for over half of the fall in prices.

The combination of factors weighing on this market are very strong: housing crash, credit crunch (which spreads indicate is still with us), a weakening economy (unemployment up 1.1 pp over the past year), and ridiculous oil prices ($140+ last week). And valuations are not reflecting this. The P/E on SPX is currently a little over 17. Given the poor earnings outlook + bouyant (if not rising) inflation, the p/e should probably be more like 14, if not 12. I remain short.

There has been no change in my positions but I have re-tooled the weightings to reflect changes in market valuations.

MARKET POSITION: EQUITIES - short SPX (5 units); short S&P/TSX (5 units); short EAFE (3.5 units); short energy (1 unit); short real estate (2 units); CASH (1 unit)

No comments: