Monday, July 14, 2008

Strange

More of the same in equities today: open higher, grind lower through the day, and another new low at the close. What I find strange is how little volatility there was (relatively speaking). With the Indymac and GSE announcements, I expected either a strong rally or a collapse. Difficult to see this trend going on for much longer -- it seems that everyone is bearish (especially on financials). Either there needs to be a bounce to clear the oversold condition, or there needs to be a collapse to bring valuations to a more reasonable level.

Although I am increasingly uncomfortable with my short index position, I am not going to cover unless there are either some signs of capitulation or valuations get to a more reasonable level (say, below 1100 on SPX). I also took advantage of the strength in energy equities today to add one unit to my short energy position. As mentioned before, it seems that the price of oil is now squeezing the global economy so badly that demand is suffering, so the price should decline soon. However, if it does go higher still, the position is well hedged against my short index positions, as an even higher oil price would put severe downward pressure on global equity markets.

MARKET POSITION: EQUITIES - short SPX (5 units); short S&P/TSX (5 units); short EAFE (3.5 units); short energy (2 unit); short real estate (2 units)

No comments: